Recovery from addiction is an active process. It is not a time when you can just sit idly by and hope for the best. It is something that you have to work on every day. This can be stressful. You may be stressed out that things are not moving as quickly as you would like them to, or think they should. It can be hard to break old routines and move on from negative friendships. This is all the more reason why keeping a positive attitude in recovery is so important.
Life is full of ups and downs, and how you deal with them can make a big difference in your recovery. If you let every little thing bother you, it may be more difficult to keep moving forward. Instead, try to turn your attitude and perspective around.
Keep a gratitude journal. Write down things that you are thankful for and things that make you happy. Maybe it is seeing a rainbow after the storm or the smile on your child’s face when you pick them up from school. Go back and read through your journal when you are having a rough day for a little pick-me-up.
Look for the silver lining. There are (at least) two sides to every situation. Choose to look for the positives. Instead of focusing on the things that went wrong, consider everything that went well.
Decrease your stress. Activities like yoga, exercise, and meditation can all decrease your stress and boost your mood. Find things that make you happy and help you to relax. Taking time for yourself and not getting too overwhelmed can enhance your positive attitude.
Take life one day at a time. You cannot change the past or predict the future, so focus on the here and now. Make today the best day it can be and take challenges in stride.
All of these things and more can support you in long-term recovery and warding off relapse. Above It All can equip you with the strategies and resources you need to feel more confident in your addiction recovery and create a healthier lifestyle.
- Promises Treatment Centers, Attitude Matters: How Changing It Benefits Your Recovery. Accessed February 9, 2016.
- Torres, Annie. Oceanfront Recovery, 5 Tips For Maintaining a Positive Attitude During Recovery. Revised March 2017, Accessed February 18, 2016.
- Klean Treatment Centers, Having a Positive Attitude in Recovery. Accessed February 10, 2016.
- Foundations Recovery Network, Positive Thinking in Rehab. Accessed February 11, 2016.
- Dara Thailand, Positive Thinking in Recovery. Accessed February 14, 2016.